Utah Shock-7, Wasatch Revolution-40
Saturday, April 30, 2016
Taylorsville, Utah- Taylorsville High School

Courtesy of Ken Anderson, Wasatch Revolution.


Amid much RMFL hoopla, the Wasatch REVolution squared off against the Utah Shock on Saturday, April 30 at Taylorsville High School.  The 3 p.m. kickoff time called for slight rain and wind but it was a gorgeous day for football from the get-go.  Both teams headed into this game with 3-1 records and a chance at the RMFL #1 seed on the line.  

The Shock started the game with the ball and drove 40 yards on 3 consecutive completions from Shock QB Jeff Wissler to Shock WR Sam Thomas.  The drive stalled on incompletions and a Shock holding penalty and the Shock were forced to attempt a 53 yard field goal by K Bryce Kennington.  It was wide left and short - and the Shock never saw momentum for the rest of the game.

The REV went to work offensively by basically pounding the ball down the Shock’s throat with the run game.  The REV went on an 11 play 80 yard touchdown drive that ended with RB Zac Guerts finding pay dirt from 2 yards out.  The REV threw 2 completions on the drive while the RB trio of Guerts, Rob Marshall and Harvey Unga grinded away with 5 yard per carry runs.

After the 1st REV possession - they were up 7-0 and the running train was starting to gather steam. The Shock answered with a decent kick return but couldn't move the ball against a stout REV defense, and undefeated U of U Fiesta Bowl champion DB Shaun Harper came up with an interception off Wissler.  2 plays later - after a long completion to REV WR Trevor Jensen and a strong 2 yard touchdown plunge by Guerts - the REV were up 14-0 heading into the 2nd quarter.

The Shock just couldn't muster much against the REV defense.  RMFL veteran Vic McKenzie brought pressure all day and REV newcomer Sebastian Tautalasi came up with a fumble recovery.  The Shock turned the ball over on an errant snap and the REV were in business again.

Capitalizing on the Shock's mistakes, the REV offensive line went to work again on an 8 play drive that was capped by another Guerts 2 yard touchdown plunge.  The REV PAT was good and the momentum was squarely on the REV sidelines.  The REV increased the lead, 21-0.

The Shock refused to go down as they marched 50+ yards on completions to WR Sam Thomas and RB Matt Mann.  As the Shock were looking to go score, QB Wissler decided to take a chance on a quick slant to Thomas; the only problem was the man covering Thomas is one of the greatest RMFL defensive players.  Harold Ragin - the Predator - stepped in front of the slant and intercepted it.  The Shock scoring opportunity disappeared.  Any chance of a comeback was also gone.

Deep in their own territory, the REV marched the ball down the field methodically with carries of 9, 10, 3, 9, 11, 18, and 6 with REV RB Rob Marshall pounding this one in from 3 yards out.  REV RB Harvey Unga led the assault with 3 straight carries that resulted in 38 yards.  The REV botched the PAT on an errant snap, and the score remained 27-0 in the 2nd quarter with about 3 minutes left.

The Shock were desperate to score and the REV defense again held.  This time DT Dustin Reid sacked Wissler and forced a turnover on downs with 17 seconds left on the REV 36-yard line.  With a lightning strike from a 1-play, deep pass to WR Del Ellington, the REV were up 33-0.  The 2 point attempt was no good and the teams went to halftime with the REV up comfortably.

The REV started the 2nd half with a 6 play, 18 yard drive that ultimately came to a stop on a 3rd down incompletion.  REV punter Chase McMurdie then smacked his longest punt of the season 63 yards and backed the Shock up.

The REV defense once again held the Shock and forced the long Shock punt.  This time the REV put the game out of reach with another long 9 play drive capped by REV RB Guerts finding pay dirt for the 4th time.  The REV were up 40-0 and the mercy clock was running full steam ahead.

At the end of the 3rd quarter, the REV forced a 3-and-out and the Shock punted a wobbly end over end kick that hit a REV player downfield right on the top of the helmet.  It was one of those "football blooper" type plays and the crowd had a good laugh.  The Shock retained possession; but with another sack on QB Wissler and some great defensive pass break ups, the Shock turned the ball back over to the REV.

With most of the REV starters now cheering on their teammates, the REV offense fumbled away a golden opportunity to achieve another long drive.  This time the Shock answered with a nice 40+ yard touchdown completion from QB Jeff Wissler to Shock WR Chris Hooper to put the Shock on the board, 40-7.

The REV then moved the clock with the run game before they gave the ball back to the Shock.  QB Wissler proceeded to throw his 3rd interception of the game as LB Stephen Phynn forced the turnover.  The REV graciously took a knee to end the game in victory formation and finished the game with a victory, 40-7.

Offensively, the REV were able to control the clock and the time of possession was in the REV's favor almost 3-1. 35 minutes to 13 minutes for the Shock.  The REV scored on every possession in the 1st half and for all intents and purposes, the game was basically over at halftime.

Defensively, the REV forced 4 turnovers - 3 interceptions and 1 fumble recovery- and made key plays to stop any type of sustained Shock momentum.  Those turnovers were key as the veteran-laden REV defense stepped up big by only allowing 7 points. 

It was a great game of sportsmanship by both teams and the REV ultimately prevailed to move to 4-1 on the season while the Shock dropped to 3-2.

The Shock will host the Davis Vipers on May 7 while the Wasatch REVolution will have their bye week before they square off against the Zion Lions in a rematch of last season's RMFL Championship Game on May 14.